Carpets come in three categories: cut pile, loop pile, and cut and pile. Within these categories are the types of carpet that you know. Understanding your floor covering is an important part of the buying decision.
Cut Pile is produced by evenly cutting the loops that are created by the weave of the product. This allows the carpet to be dense, soft, and slightly tufted. There are several types of cut pile carpet: plush, textured, frieze, and cable.Plush
- Plush carpet flooring is the most common of all carpets. It comes in almost every color and is known for its conformity. Many say that plush carpet has the look of a fresh cut lawn because of the way it retains vacuum lines and footprints. It is important to note that while plush carpet gives a pristine look, it can wear down quickly in heavy traffic areas.Textured
- Textured carpet is one of the more modern and sturdy flooring covers available. While still a cut pile carpet, the fibers have been twisted sewn to create a different look, called the permanent curl. This curl reduces the amount of light reflection, masking footprints. Textured carpet tends to hold up better than the plush and some of your other options.Frieze
- This type of floor covering produces and durable, yet distinguished and beautiful finished product. Frieze also hides footprints and vacuum lines because of the tighter twist of yarn.Cable
- Cable carpet is created with long bulky strands rather than the standard strands that the other cut pile carpets. With great extravagance and luxury comes great responsibility! Cable carpet, like plush, tends to break down under heavy traffic areas.
This style carpet is uncut and is close to the floor. Loop Pile carpets are resistant to wear and tear, which is why most commercial carpet is made this way. You can choose loop pile carpets from a couple different styles: commercial and Berber.Commercial
- Commercial carpets are normally made from olefin and/or nylon, and can be multi-colored to hide traffic patterns and dirt. It can also be textured by using higher or lower loops.Berber
- Berber carpet is the most durable of home carpets. These carpets are normally multi-colored to hide dirt, which means Berber is especially great for homes with children!
Cut and loop carpet is a combination of the two previous styles of carpet. These floor coverings, also called sculpted carpets, are also good at hiding heavy foot traffic and dirt. The cut/uncut design produces a unique set of patterns to make any room look customized to your liking.